Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Press Release – Colorado Springs, CO, October 1, 2019 – When we discuss intimate partner violence, women are often presumed to be the victim. An alarming number of men also suffer from physical, mental, financial, and sexual abuse. Men suffer in both heterosexual and same-sex relationships, and their stories are less often told.
One in four men will find himself a victim of domestic violence in his lifetime, which is around three million male domestic violence victims each year, according to the CDC. Break The Silence Against Domestic Violence™ (BTSADV) is presenting an eye-opening, in-your-face awareness campaign that, to some, will be just as shocking.
Kristen Faith, Founder of BTSADV, believes this is necessary. “Domestic violence is not a woman’s issue – it’s everyone’s issue. It’s time to change the way we discuss and understand abuse.”
The October initiative called “The Promise Campaign” has two components:
- A Public Service Announcement video that will engage millions of people across the world
- A Call-To-Action to encourage one million viewers to text “BTSADV” to 51555 to make a promise to be the change the world needs.
You can also make your promise by filling out the pledge form below.
As a part of their ongoing commitment to combating abuse, BTSADV will be hosting their first men’s weekend retreat during the summer of 2020 to provide guys a place to come together to talk about life, struggles, and relationships.
- I promise to keep an open mind when learning about domestic violence.
- I promise to actively engage in learning more about how to have healthy relationships with my intimate partner, family, and friends.
- I promise to break the silence and get help if I am in an abusive relationship, even if I am being abusive.
- I promise to make my mental health a priority.
- I promise to do something if I see someone being abused.
- I promise to take action in my own life to be the best version I can be for myself, my family, and my loved ones.
- I promise to create change in my life and stop making excuses for bad and unproductive behaviors that do not serve me or others around me.
- I promise to lead by example.
- I promise to break the generational curse and begin creating new behaviors that can benefit everyone around me.
- I promise to stop making empty promises. It’s time to make a change.